The 2019 growing season was great for the Cottage City Community Garden. Not only did we have a bountiful harvest of vegetables, flowers, and fruit, but we also had an amazing harvest of community.
- The garden was certified as Baywise for promoting healthy and sustainable growing practices to support the health of the Chesapeake Bay
- We launched our ever popular Wind Down Wednesdays, turning the garden into a monthly watering hole for family and friends.
- We hosted two awesome workshops on adapting your garden to climate change and on gardening for busy professionals
- Hosted more than 160 youth volunteers throughout the growing season with partnerships with the Port Towns Youth Council, Port Towns Youth Wellness Ambassadors, Summer Youth Employment Program, and Capital Christian Academy.
- Partnered with the Prince George’s County Food Equity Council to sponsor a racial equity training in the food system workshop.
- Constructed new garden beds that ADA compliant and help to support gardeners of all ages and abilities
But perhaps one of our favorite events, was the Garden Taste and Tour! Through a partnership with the Prince George’s County Food Equity Council, we hosted a paella tasting and a garden tour of the Cottage City Community Garden. Our wonderful Chef Mark Haskell made a traditional paella over an open fire and we provided best practices and ideas to participants in other community gardens across the DMV. Check out the video below.